Friday, July 11, 2008

Living in the moment

Well I am trying to be in the moment with my son on all his firsts. First plane ride , first time Mom takes him to McDonald's or KFC. HE says he likes KFC better.
In any event we have been so busy I haven't had much time to write . I am up early because of the news of my grandson. I was looking for pictures on my e-mail.
IN any event to bring you up to date we did the Guilin to Yangshou cruise on Thursday and yesterday we pretty much traveled from Guilin to Guagzhou.
The only snag I hit this time is the one lady would not let me pass through to go to security because she didn't like my the rolling carry on bag. Which meets the measurements requirements but the wheels won't fit into the metal frame thing that they have. My guide tried to no avail to convince her that I had traveled several airports and China planes and it fits with no problem . Nobody else objected.
SO travelers beware in Guilin they are very fussy.
I should have just done the dumb foreigner thing, smiled walked through to the checkpoint and said "bu dong" meaning I don't understand. Needless to say I was upset because I had all my documents in it, computer and jewelery I purchased. I wasn't about to check it.. IN any event my husband switched bags with me because he was going to check his carry on and only take his computer bag on board. So after frantically repacking she let us through with his.
we dashed through security where I nearly forgot my special seat cushion for my back for sitting because they had unhooked it from my carry on.
SO travelers ADVICE count the number of things you send through the machine so you don't forget anything..
Then Chunlan (Lana)said they were announcing last boarding. We literally ran I mean RAN to gate 11 , good think Matthew Chunxian is a good runner to our gate and boarded the plane. IT was leaving in 15 minutes as we started sprinting.
Oh an yes indeed I was riding a bike all through Yangshou yesterday and I have the ache in my thighs to prove it.. My legs are in great shape
Ok so we boarded the plane with a storm overhead and hit the clouds literally , being shaken around like an amusement park ride. We heard that many if the families had their flights delayed because of weather in to GZ.
yep well it smoothed out quickly but landing was rough . Roller coaster ride again. Chunxian and Chunlan got nauseated but survived
Matthew Chunxian loved looking out the window and was mesmerized the whole trip. HE was pretty pleased. HE immediately wanted the potato chips that his baba had bought him for the trip. He happily munched away on them, then later peanuts and he had a box of green tea drink I think it was.
Ok coke and black tea got to go along with all his gum that I hid. Since he has a habit of throwing his trash on the ground. HE does a lot of picking up and wiping down sinks, the bathroom door (from sloshing in the bath tub. It is a novelty for him. He say he is going swimming in the bathtub) he also gets to wipe the toilet seat off if he doesn't lift the lid.
Hmm I noticed this morning he must be tired of doing that because he lifted the lid without being told. thanks to love and logic classes.
So far when we have offed him a choice, he usually choses one of the offered options. One thing we learned at attachment therapy camp was that if you offer two of the three choices available and they pick the third one that you did not offer, then you know they have attachment issues. They like to be in control to feel safe . Although really they won't feel safe until they are sure the adult in charge will say no to them.
HA HA so that means they to use attachment techniques.
So if they pick within your given choice range what you offered then they are ready for love and logic techniques. That is mostly working with him although we are also are insisting on eye contact when he speaks to us or us to him. I tried to give him treats on my lap. he isn't going for that so we are just working with making eye contact as we feed him sugar and watching his eyes.
We have had a few battle of wills so to speak and some stand offs. He
wants to stand when he eats and so I take his food away until he sits down. I know enough Chinese to reprimand him, he is not happy about that. Some time he pretends to NOT understand me. Yeah duh other Chinese kids understand me, especially if I ask them if they want candy. He is way too smart and figures things out fast. He likes to play deaf and dumb at times. I don't fall for it. He figured out crazy 8's after only playing it one time and then proceeded to beat me twice! HE is very competitive, and likes to race me.
HE wants to sit away from me (not David) where we can't reach him to serve him. So he get nothing until he sits where he is told. HE seems to be testing me to see if I will make him mind. AN Attachment disordered child wants to know if they can trust the adult. IF they can manipulate or control the adult, make them angry then they will not feel safe attaching.
Hmmm in any event he gets to pick up his trash which Chunlan says is not typical of Chinese mannerisms.

No comments: